Re: [NEW PACKAGE]: ssh-1.12.3-1 (international version)

> Ok guys, here is a first shot at a debian ssh package. Please do _NOT_

Great!

>   ftp.uni-mainz.de:/pub/Linux/debian-non-us

Mirrored at ftp://ftp.ists.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/linux/debian-non-us/

> Please test it and let me know if it works (it does for me) ...

Seems to work, just a few random comments:

- it shouldn't depend on gmp (it is currently a static library,
needed only for building, but not for using this package; a shared
libgmp would be nice though - it's quite big)

- postinst should run /etc/init.d/ssh (not /etc/init/ssh)

- /etc/ssh/ssh_random_seed should probably be in /var/lib/ssh/

- packaging guidelines want files owned by group root (not daemon)
and setuid programs mode 4755 (not 4711)

- postinst should ask if you want to start sshd at boot time (you
may want only the client, without the server)

- /etc/init.d/ssh should support "reload" (SIGHUP), and probably
should use the pid file so that you can kill and restart the main
sshd process without terminating existing sessions.

- sshd doesn't work with shadow passwords; the code is there, you
just need to convince configure to #define HAVE_ETC_SHADOW (it
checks if /etc/shadow is present on the system you build it on;
it really should check for the getspnam() library function instead)
and it should work with both shadow and non-shadow passwords.

- it would be nice to check for existing /etc/ssh_host_key and
/etc/ssh_host_key.pub in postinst.  If they exist, use them (offer
to move them to the /etc/ssh directory) instead of generating a new
host key.  This is the default configuration if you have previously
installed ssh from the original sources (in /usr/local).

Thanks,

Marek