Package and package file naming and versioning (was: Re: underscores)

On Sun, 26 May 1996, Steve Greenland wrote:

>Bruce Perens wrote:
>>
>> There have been a number of proposals so far, but the one I like most is to
>> use "_" (that's underbar) as a delmiter between the package name and the
>> version number, and to use it between the version number and the architecture.
>> The upload processing script would get a file like this:
>>
>> 	package-name_1.2.3_i386.deb
>
>And with the debian revision number, that would be
>
>	package-name_1.2.3-1_i386.deb
>
>right? (Sorry to be obtuse, just want to be sure I'm clear
>on this).

And, if the upstream package author places '-' and/or '_' chars
and/or other arbitrary chars in his package names and/or in his package
version numbers, how should debian maintainers choose the package name,
package version, and package filenames to be used for uploaded debian
binary, source, and diff package files?

And what chars, if any, are to be disallowed in debian revision numbers?

Let's be sure that, this time, we end up with an unambiguous set of
naming rules which satisfy our requirements and which will not be
broken by some later special case.