Question about /usr/src setup

Hello,

In /usr/src, after a fresh install, I have:

	kernel-headers-1.3.64
	linux-1.3.64
	linux -> kernel-headers-1.3.64

This setup makes me think that whenever I install new kernel sources
I have to make a new directory as in

	linux-pre2.0.7

so that the linux link still points to the headers used to compile
the base utilities and I can build my new kernel in the new directory.

However, if I install kernel-package I get a kernel-package-x.y.tar.gz
file in /usr/src which creates linux/* files. Obviously this package
must unpack in the kernel sources, which are not under the linux
directory.

So, should kernel-package unpack without the linux/ prefix, or are the
setup of the sources, the linux link and the kernel-package conflicting?
The default setup is not usable...

Yves.