Re: UID allocation policy [Re: automatic adduser/addgroup ...]

rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu (Raul Miller)  wrote on 23.05.96 in <19960523002509.1477.qmail@tad.micro.umn.edu>:

> The best compromise UID allocation policy, in my mind:
>
> (1) allow selection of lower bounds for each allocation group.
>
> (2) allow selection of upper bounds for each allocation group.
>
> (3) provide reasonable defaults.
>
> (4) when allocating, make sure that ID isn't already in use.  Stop
> with error if no more available IDs in range.

There's one more problem. Can we get this to work _before_ installing the
base system?

Maybe.

Can we assume that the ranges get set correctly by the installer?

Probably not.

So I think we need support for changing UIDs (and GIDs, too, of course).

I'm thinking of a program that gets a file of old-new pairs and goes over
the file system (or maybe over configured parts of the file system?) and
adapts the ownerships.

(Yes, you can do it with find - but when you are changing large numbers,
this gets error-prone and _very_ slow!)

Comments?

MfG Kai