Re: Question about arch-independent packages and dependencies

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Yves Arrouye wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I will submit in a few days two packages, one containing a tool to filter
> and print PS files according to PPD files, another one containing PPD
> files to be used with Ghostscript.
>
> My problem is that the package with only PPD files is architecture-indep.
> Is there a special Architecture keyword covering this case or can I safely
> ignore the dpkg warning when building the package?

Yes. Use architecture 'all'.

> Another question is: is it possible to ask (or recommend) that after a
> package is installed/configured, one of my script is run? The case here
> is that my PPD package does not depend on gs (the PPD files may be useful
> even without a local gs) but if gs is installed I can arrange them to
> reflect the gs config (paper size, for example); I can do that in my postinst,
> but what if gs is installed *after*?

Hmm. My solution:

Create a script called 'ppdconfig' that does just that and place it in
/usr/sbin.

You should code your ppdconfig script so that is doesn't fail obscurely if
it's run without gs being installed. (i.e. test for /usr/bin/gs in your
script, or something...)

Then explain about ppdconfig in your postinst (i.e. explain what it does
and that it should be run after/when gs is installed) and (as the
guidelines request) ask the user to press <Return>, to make sure they're
read your message.

Other packages do something like that (e.g. smail, bind, etc.) although
not quite for the same reasons.

> P.S.: I think the two packages will belong to section 'text'. I am right?

<shrug> Sounds like a plausible guess. But I don't have a clue whatsoever
as to what a PPD file is.