kernel-image/debian.README; confusion over version numbers

Further clarification is needed in the debian.README file re: version
numbers; also, some warning is needed in that file to tell the user
what might really happen in the postinst.

The following describes what I did and where I got confused/stuck:

The instructions in the debian.README file for the kernel-image package
(1.3.100) say:
First, change the version numbers near the top of debian.rules.

Lacking further guidance, I arbitrarily changed v (labelled "version"
in debian.rules) from 1.3.100 to 1.3.200.  Also, since the instruction
in debian.REAMDE referred to more than one version number, I also changed
d from 1 to 10.

I then proceeded with
make config,
./debian.rules kernel_image
cd ..
dpkg --unpack kernel-image-1.3.200-10.i386.deb

Before I ran
dpkg --configure kernel-image
I noticed that the postinst script would automatically rewrite my boot
sector if I had /sbin/lilo on my system, so I removed lilo to prevent this
happening.  (I like to test kernels from a secondary loader like loadlin
first before letting lilo do its thing on my system.)

Then I ran
dpkg --configure kernel-image

and copied the /vmlinuz that it made into a DOS partition that could be
booted with LOADLIN.

I then rebooted using LOADLIN with this new kernel.
The kernel booted fine, but it found no modules, and wouldn't run modprobe,
because of an inconsistency between the version number embedded in the
kernel (still 100) and the version number I'd specified at the top of
debian.rules.

I don't mind remaking the kernel to fix my current situation, but before doing
that I need some help in figuring out how to set the version number
and/or rename the package.

TIA,
Susan Kleinmann