Re: dpkg doesn't recognize some *.deb packages

On Thu, 16 May 1996 wbart3@ktb.net wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I've been trying out the Debian 1.1 beta, but I have been having
> trouble installing some of the packages.  I get a message like
> "not a debian archive".  In other words, dpkg doesn't recognize
> the file as a debian package.

Which version of dpkg are you using?

> Here is a list of the packages that I have had this problem with
> so far:
>

>     texbin.deb, mfbin.deb, pcb.deb, x10.deb
>
> I used the DOS names to save myself some typing.
>
> Also, on a minor side, if I use "exit" to exit from Midnight
> Commander, my next keystroke causes a segmentation fault and
> core dump.

I had problems a while back like this, but with su and exit. When I
completed the base upgrade to current levels it stopped doing that. I
suspected bash, but couldn't be sure.
Make sure that all your base packages are up to date. That should fix it.

Luck,

Dwarf