Re: automatic adduser/addgroup in postinst (was Re: fingerd)

You (Ian Jackson) wrote:
> Miquel van Smoorenburg writes ("Re: automatic adduser/addgroup in postinst (was Re: fingerd)"):
> > Yeah but Debian 1.1 has 100-108 or so allocated to qmail users. I
> > had to move all staff users from the 100-200 range to 2100-2200..
> > not a nice job, since the UIDs were also recorded in SQL databases
> > etc...
>
> These are in the range allocated automatically by adduser, so you
> should be able to renumber them.
>
> If this is not the case (perhaps the qmail package has these uids
> compiled into it or something) then it is a bug: packages should only
> use dynamically allocated numbers after 100, for precisely the kind of
> reasons you're complaining about.

No I mean that the password file of the base package has the qmail
users includes (100-108). This is probably a bug in the base package.
Perhaps it is even fixed now, I understand Bruce is working very hard
on the 1.1 install disks.

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/