Possible HTTP Directory Layouts

As far as I understand it, all of the servers provide "aliases" for webspace
directories to actual directories.  How about...

Webspace        Actual                  Comment
~~~~~~~~        ~~~~~~                  ~~~~~~~
/apache/...     /usr/lib/apache/...     includes apache "icons" and "cgi-bin"
/cern/...       /usr/lib/cern-http/...  includes cern "icons" and "cgi-bin"
/cgi-bin/...    /var/web/cgi-bin/...    any cgi-bin files the user adds locally
/images/...     /var/web/images/...     any images/icons the user adds locally
/...            /var/web/webspace/...   general files to be served

and:

If in a document I specifically want to reference an apache cgi-bin
script, then I would give a URL of "/apache/cgi-bin/<script>.cgi".
Putting a symlink in /var/web/cgi-bin for each script (if not already
existing) to the one in /usr/lib/<server>/cgi-bin would provide a default
accessible as "/cgi-bin/<script>" that the user could change to the
preferred version while still keeping it accessible by a fully qualified
URL.

This should handle the majority of cases and be quite adaptable to the
other cases, as well.

Installing new web packages would require automatic or manual modification
of the http-daemon's config file.

Comments?

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )