Re: automatic adduser/addgroup in postinst (was Re: fingerd)

> Lukas Nellen writes (SuperCite undone - iwj):
> > Just a comment about allocating UID's - we should try to keep the
> > range of UID's reserved/automatically allocated for DEBIAN systems as
> > small as reasonably possible.
> >
> > Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> > > Currently 0-99 and 65534 are allocated statically by the base
> > > system maintainer, 100-999 are allocated dynamically by
> > > adduser for system users and groups and 1000 onwards for
> > > ordinary users.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, many commercial UN*Xes only reserve the UID's
> > up to about 100 or 200 for system accounts, the rest is allocated by
> > the adduser script (or whatever its equivalent is called). If you want
> > to add a DEBIAN box to a heterogeneous cluster made up of such
> > machines you might have a problem as the UIDs of all users on all
> > machines in the cluster have to be identical - at least if you want to
> > export home directories, the mail spool and the like. Does anybody
> > have a list of the conventions of other systems? On the DEC ALPHA
> > (osf/2), the lowest UID given to an ordinary user is 100.
>
> The current scheme does this.  The fact that it usually starts
> allocating system users at 100 won't stop you changing this in its
> configuration file, or using 100 yourself to keep it in use.

Yeah but Debian 1.1 has 100-108 or so allocated to qmail users. I
had to move all staff users from the 100-200 range to 2100-2200..
not a nice job, since the UIDs were also recorded in SQL databases
etc...

Worst of all, I lost my precious uid #101 that I had on all my
systems since Minix .. ;)

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/