Re: http daemon suggestion/proposal

You (Erick Branderhorst) wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> I would like to suggest some about a file structure related to http
> daemons. At this moment apache and cern-httpd define their own directories
> where to store their cgi-bin / webspace stuff etc.
>
> For packages depending on this structure (not so many right now but some
> nice cgi-bin scripts provided via packages might be very usefull: debian
> man/info/??? 2 html documentation daemon) it is required that some fixed
> file structure is provided.
>
> Putting cgi-bin etc. in /usr/lib/cern-httpd like cern-httpd does isn't good
> IMO because this might be a readonly if /usr is mounted readonly. Putting
> cgi-bin etc. in /var/web/ isn't what I think /var should be used for, I
> think that the best place (but who am I to say) is a user named www, or
> perhaps a user named apache or a user named cern-httpd.
>
> /home/www/cgi-bin
> /home/www/icons
> /home/www/http

Ugh. I feel that /home should be for _users_ and user data only. Not
for stuff like this. You might as well put it in /usr then. (ugh again)

I think that the best solution is

/var/httpd/cgi-bin
/var/httpd/icons
/var/httpd/htdocs

as it is in the default dist (well, in /usr/local.. then).

I am going to release an interim version of apache, since the current
one has a security hole. Because I am not the maintainer and we are
in BETA test I am not going to change the paths unless someone gives
me a good reason. However I am not happy with the /var/web/webspace
of apache either and I might even change my mind ;)

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/