Re: Incoming directory status

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Guy Maor wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 1996, Rob Browning wrote:
>
> > Most people will probably want emacs or xemacs, but not both.
>
> If that's really true, then the solution to the duplicated files is
> simple: let emacs and xemacs conflict.  I was under the impression that
> people wanted both.

Although I am not a developer, let me state my objection to the idea
of leaving miscellaneous minute packages around upon which various
major packages are dependent.

This kind of confusion currently surrounds a number of the libraries,
for which I am almost stunned---I am not even certain which packages I
need to install until I try to install something.

Far better, if some subtlety and intelligence is built into the
scripts, so that, for example, I am not only informed of conflict
between config files of xemacs (which I may never use) and emacs, but
also given the option of installing them under the current name or
another name (in case such a script actually noticed the presence of
the other package---and, by the way, what's the problem with doing
that anyway?).

Alan Davis

Satisfied and concerned user.