/var/logs in 1.1beta

I just noticed that the system I installed a couple of days ago using
the 1.1beta disks, dated 19-April-1996, includes a directory
/var/logs. The installation was on a new, clean system (all
filesystems reformated), so I'm sure there is nothing left from some
older setup.  Unfortunately, I cannot find out if this directory is
created by the base disks or by a later package installation. The log
files in use are the ones in /var/log.

Here is the output I get looking for /var/log and /var/logs:

lukas@queta 502 ~ > dpkg -S /var/log
lpr, syslogd, sysvinit, base: /var/log
lukas@queta 503 ~ > dpkg -S /var/logs
dpkg: /var/logs not found.
lukas@queta 504 ~ > ls /var/logs
auth.log     initrunlvl   lp-errs      nmb          utmp
daemon.log   lastlog      messages     sendmail.st
debug        lp-acct      news         smb
lukas@queta 506 ~ > dpkg -l lpr syslogd sysvinit base
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  lpr             5.9-11         Berkeley lpr/lpd line printer spooling syste
ii  syslogd         1.3-2          Kernel and system logging daemons.
ii  sysvinit        2.60-1         System-V like init.
ii  base            1.1.0-4        Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files

Any ideas how this could happen?

		Cheers,
			Lukas
   Dr. Lukas Nellen                 | Email: lukas@teorica0.ifisicacu.unam.mx
   Depto. de Fisica Teorica, IFUNAM |
   Apdo. Postal 20-364              | Tel.:  +52 5 622 5014 ext. 218
   01000 Mexico D.F., MEXICO        | Fax:   +52 5 622 5015