Re: Emacs and XEmacs conflict!

Christian Hudon <chrish@libertel.montreal.qc.ca> said:

> [...] Would it be possible to modify emacs and
> xemacs so that they can be installed together nicely (i.e. wihtout having
> to use --force-everything). The only files that conflict are:
>
> /usr/bin/b2m
> /usr/bin/ctags
> /usr/bin/emacsclient
> /usr/bin/etags
> /usr/bin/rcs-checkin
> /usr/man/man1/etags.1
> /usr/man/man1/ctags.1

I recently had a similar situation with elvis-2.0.  I built x11 and
non-x11 versions of elvis and put them in packages named elvisx11 and
elvisnox, with what would have been common files consolidated into a
package named elviscmn.  Both elvisx11 and xlvisnox declare a dependency
on elviscmn.

The upstream elvis sources also provide ctags and fmt programs.  The
elvis fmt program was deprecated in favor of textutils fmt.  An elvis
ctags package was provided, and it currently declares a conflict with
emacs because the emacs package also provides a ctags program.  If the
emacs ctags program is moved elsewhere, I'd appreciate a heads-up about
that.