Re: sendmail, deliver and procmail

L> Does sendmail have to depend on deliver? Sendmail comes with its
L> own mail.local to deliver to a local mailbox. Wouldn't it be
L> sufficient to use this as a default local mailer?

> I think the problem here is that mail.local does not respect the
> Debian mailbox locking convention, so you risk serious mailbox
> corruption if you use it.  deliver's pretty tiny anyway...

As we have discussed on that list earlier: some people just have to
use mail.local because their Linux box is running as part of a
heterogenous cluster, where configuration files are identical across
all platforms.  And some people simply don't want to use deliver.
(In my case its both.)

I unterstood that we agreed that sendmail should recommend or suggest
deliver, but not depend on it...

Later,
  Dominik