programming help

Hi,

first of all, sorry for asking this here, but I've tried and it's just
not working.....

Can somebody please help me in writing a little program (pseudo-code
below)? I don't care if it's in C or Perl, or C++ for that mather...

This program will be setgid news, and the program that will be executed
in the background has to be able to write in a directory that is setgid
news (this program itself too btw. cos it has to be able to create a
lockfile there and rename and unlink some stuff there). It's output
should go to /dev/null (stdout as well as stderr). The last program
executed should execute with the users own permissions. It is also
interactive.

pseudo-code:

if (! exists FILE) or (FILE is older then 1 week) {
	if ! locked FILE	# maybe another process is already
				# doing the same
	{
		start_background_process {
			create lockfile
			execute another_program
			remove lockfile
		}
	}
}

execute_program(our_command_line_options)

Thanx for all the help I get

Maarten

| Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft,   NL  |
|   boekhold@cindy.et.tudelft.nl boekhold@gopher.library.tudelft.nl   |
|                  Take life as a party!                              |