Re: root refused on terminal

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Peter Tobias wrote:

> Erick Branderhorst wrote:
>
> > I upgraded a few packages (one of them was base) and now I can't
> > login as root on my virtual terminals (Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]) as
> > root. Regular user accounts can do but root can't. What behind this?
>
> Maybe your /etc/securetty file does not exist or it is empty?

No, I had the same problem, and my /etc/securetty was fine.

It's because there are still old versions of getty running.

I fixed it by doing 'killall getty', and init happily respawned new gettys
for me.

i might have had to do an 'init q' before or after this.  Can't remember
exactly.

Maybe 'killall getty' should go in the postinst script for this package?

Craig

--
  cas@muffin.pronet.com                                cas@muffin.apana.org.au
   *       Unix Consulting:  Installation, Configuration, & Support.        *