1.1 Install problems

Hello all,

Well, I've got a Red Hat CD (2.1), but thought I'd give Debian 1.1 a go
first for this job I've landed.  Much preferable to NT, which is the
alternative!

I downloaded the boot/root/base from 19th April and booted the new
machine.  May I first say how good the installation scripts look!

However,  the kernel on the boot floppy doesn't recognise my DPT SCSI
card, nor my Cogent Ethernet card(*).  When I try to partition a disk,
the dialogs tell me that I may need to insert kernel modules, but I
cannot find any of them on the RAM disk.  I looked under /lib - my
understanding as to the standard place for these.  So, this piece of
advice could be somewhat misleading.

I was able to go on to configure the network, which of course failed
when it went to save the details to disk.  Perhaps the scripts shouldn't
allow all this information to be entered without checking that it can be
saved.  I was only trying this out, not expecting it to work with no
hard drives detected on the machine :)

The use of 'ls | more' gave segmentation faults, as did any use of '...
| more'.  'more file' worked as expected.

That's all my comments for now.

System looks great now!  I hope to stick with Debian, and start
supporting some packages again, but no promises.  Only bug reports for
now :)

Best wishes and grateful encouragement,

Kenny.

(*) DPT SmartCache III SCSI card, which should be supported by the EATA
    drivers.
    Cogent eMASTER+ EM960 (DEC 21040) ethernet card, which should also
    be supported.

| <K.MacDonald@ed.ac.uk> "http://www.glg.ed.ac.uk/~kenny";  Try Linux!  |
| Portuguese/English/French Translations/Teaching by Native Portuguese |
| <H.Taborda@ed.ac.uk> "http://www.glg.ed.ac.uk/~kenny/helena";         |