Re: zlib, libpng, for real...

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> If I had the ability to legislate stuff, yes, we'd be phasing out
> libgr, as I think its philosophy, though sensible for a homegrown
> system, doesn't work well with Debian.

I agree with this.  I compiled shared libs of libpbm and libtiff on my
own machine for use with MuPAD.  I could easily turn them into Debian
packages.  Then we could eliminate libgr.

The description for libgr reads:
 The formats included are fbm, jpeg, pbm, pgm, png, pnm, ppm, rle, tiff,
 and zlib.

So we need these packages:
	libjpeg (jpeg)
	lipbm (pbm, pgm, ppm, pnm)
	libtiff (tiff)
	zlib
	libpng (png)
	??? (fbm, rle)

I'm not sure what those last 2 are.  I assume rle means Run Length
Encoding, but I've never heard of those graphics formats.

One final question - should we install all the headers in
/usr/include/gr (or something like that), or should we have each
package have its own directory under include?

Guy