Re: Kerneld

Christian Hudon writes:

> I'd rather have it started at boot time... Before attempting to mount local
> filesystems. IMO it's cleaner to have kerneld support working all the time
> for all the modules than "oh, it might work, but it depends on where that
> module is needed in the boot sequence".

I agree. Personally I like it to start all my modules.

> Why would we need to start sysklogd as early, though? First kerneld isn't
> that verbose. And it's only a temporary situation... Now if kerneld went
> on to spit out messages to the tty even after sysklogd was started, *that*
> would be annoying, but...

I agree.

> And it's not because modules are early in the boot chain that's it's
> critical. My MS-DOS fs gets mounted when "mounting local filesystems",
> which is fairly early... but I'd hardly call that critical. :-)

That's true, but there are critical ones, like the network driver. How about
adding an option 'auto' to /etc/modules?

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/