gziped man files and other subjects

In my opinion, the problem here is not with dpkg, but with gzip and
man.

man should *always* use /bin/zcat on the front of its pipe to display
manual pages.  The same should apply to man clones.

gzip ought to be able to manage compressing a file then renaming it
back to the original name (and the reverse procedure for
uncompressing).  It also ought to have an option to support this.
[However, we don't *have* to have this -- a shell script can do the
same thing.]

Then, manual pages could be compressed in place without renaming them.

There should be no reason to manage the namespace just to change the
encoding of a file.

--
Raul