Re: install-manpage (was: Re: don't gzip man files)

Hi,

	I like this idea.  This seems an excellent compromise between
 people for whom disk space is critical, for people who consider
 performance to be a premium, and provides a hook for users who want
 to have a say in how things are set up, while taking care of the
 details in one place rather than in every package.

	Maybe on could have a conf-file in /etc, which explains the
 issues involved in comments, and compresses (or does not compress)
 the manpages according to the directives in that file.

	Also, one may have install-docs, which could take a command
 line option --compressable, to indicate whether the
 decide-to-compress algorithm would be run (maybe some files in doc
 should not be compressed).  So, we could have a suite of scripts,
 install-info, install-manpages, and install-docs, (or one script that
 looks at the name it was invoked with), which all look at that
 conf-file and handle compression.

	I would also add my name to the list of people who have
 volunteered to implement such a beast.

	manoj

--
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,