Re: Asserting kernel version

Rob Leslie writes ("Re: Asserting kernel version"):
> I wouldn't call BIND vital, so I guess postinst it is.
>
> Ian, do you have any suggestions on the best way to assert the kernel version
> as I had originally asked?

Well, I can think of several ways, but the following come to mind:

If the kernel feature you need is easily tested for you could test for
it directly, so that you'll allow people to have older kernels with a
patch to support whatever-it-is.

If you just want to depend on a particular kernel version you could
use shellscript and `case'.  I plan to have dpkg provide a `compare
version numbers' option that compares two strings using dpkg's version
number comparison algorithm.  When I do that you can use it :-).

Ian.