Re: Beta testing? -- SOLVED: problem upgrading libc

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > > If beta testing is to be done from
> > > ftp://ftp.i-connect.net/debian/unstable/binary-i386 then there is a
> > > major problem. The only version of dpkg available is 1.1.5elf. This
> > > package can not be installed on an R6 system because it needs libc5.
> > > The proper version of dpkg for beta testing is 1.1.5
> >
> > aha!  this may be the solution to my libc upgrade problems - i'll get and
> > install dpkg-1.1.5 to replace dpkg-1.0.17
>
> i couldn't find dpkg-1.1.5 but found 1.1.3 instead.  installed it, then had
> no problems upgrading to:
>
> ii  libc4           4.6.27-13      The Linux C library (a.out version 4).
> ii  libc5           5.2.18-5       The Linux C library version 5 (run-time
>
> Now I just have to complete the task of switching to a fully ELF 1.1 beta
> system... :-)  I should have all the 'unstable' packages downloaded by
> tomorrow over my 28.8K connection.
>
> somebody (dale, maybe?) posted their list of how they did it the other
> day...i'll have to have another look at that for tips.

Thanks for all the pointers :-) The original posting was generated as a
result of upgrade testing with dselect. I can, using the script that I
posted several days ago, upgrade the base packages from R6 to 1.1 with no
problems. All my confusion and difficulty has been with regard to
dselect, not installation in general.
Yes, you can do small partial upgrades (ld.so, libc5, ncurses) anywhere
along the way. That's the true beauty of Debian. My task has been to come
up with all the "gotchas" that can happen when upgrading a vanilla R6
installation to 1.1.
I personaly prefer the dpkg method. I like to be careful what I install,
and sometimes will remove a package because, during installation it
didn't look right. The sweeping "I can do it all" attitude of dselect is
too pushy for me.
Currently, with an up-to-date packages file, dselect will upgrade most of
the packages, even when I only ask for the base packages. This "feature"
of dselect is what keeps me going back to dpkg as the tool of choice.

Later,

Dwarf