problems upgrading libc

I just tried upgrading my libc4 and libc5 and got the following error
messages:

libc4:

# dpkg -i libc4-4.6.27-13.deb
dpkg: regarding libc4-4.6.27-13.deb containing libc4:
 libc4 conflicts with libc
  libc (version 4.6.27-6) is installed.
dpkg: error processing libc4-4.6.27-13.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing libc4
 libc4-4.6.27-13.deb

dpkg -I reports:

 PACKAGE: libc4
 SECTION: devel
 MAINTAINER: David Engel <david@ods.com>
 VERSION: 4.6.27-13
 RECOMMENDED: aout-binutils, aout-gcc
 REPLACES: libc
 PROVIDES: libc, libc.so.4
 OPTIONAL: glibcdoc, manpages
 CONFLICTS: libc
 ARCHITECTURE: i386

Shouldn't the REPLACES: line above override the CONFLICTS line?

libc5:

# dpkg -i libc5-5.2.18-5.deb
(Reading database ... 22056 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc5 (using libc5-5.2.18-5.deb) ...
dpkg: unknown option --assert-support-predepends

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages;
Use dselect for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files.
dpkg: error processing libc5-5.2.18-5.deb (--install):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
 libc5-5.2.18-5.deb

here's what dpkg -I says about libc5:

 PACKAGE: libc5
 SECTION: base
 SOURCE: libc5
 MAINTAINER: David Engel <david@ods.com>
 VERSION: 5.2.18-5
 PRE-DEPENDS: ldso (>=1.7.14-2)
 CONFLICTS: elf-libc
 PROVIDES: elf-libc
 ARCHITECTURE: i386

Just before doing this I installed ld.so-1.7.14-4.deb as libc5-5.2.18-5.deb
depends on ldso>=1.7.14-2.  Yesterday I installed dpkg-1.0.17.deb, which was
the latest version i could find anywhere.  I'm running Linux kernel 1.3.64,
and have been running that for almost a month now.  I'd like to upgrade that
to 1.3.75 or so but can't find the debian package for it (might patch it by
hand today if i get the time).

here's my dpkg -l (with many irrelevant lines deleted - i left in all
libs and anything else which might conceivably have some interaction
with dpkg...if i wasn't 100% sure it was completely unrelated i left it
in).

Any clues?  How do i update these libs?  Do i have to reboot to single user
mode or something?

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name         Version   Rev  Description
+++-============-=========-====-===============================================
ii  base            0.93.6 13   Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  bash            1.14.4 2    The GNU Bourne-Again SHell.
ii  bsdutils           1.3 1    Utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  cpio               2.3 2    GNU cpio: a program to manage archives of files
ii  dld              3.2.6 2    dld - a library package of C functions that per
ii  dlltools          2.17 3    Tools used to create DLL jumptable libraries.
ii  dpkg            1.0.17      Package maintenance system for Debian GNU/Linux
ii  file              3.18 2    Determines file type using "magic" numbers
ii  fileutils         3.12 2    The GNU file management utilities.
ii  ldso            1.7.14 4    The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilities
ii  libc            4.6.27 6    The Linux C library.
iU  libc5           5.2.18 1    The Linux C library version 5 (run-time librari
ii  librl            2.0.3 2    GNU Readline shared and static libraries.
ii  miscutils          1.3 5    Miscellaneous system utilities.
ii  modules          1.2.8 1    Linux module utilities.
ii  ncurses-bin     1.9.8a 4    Video terminal manipulation: associated program
pi  ncurses-runt     1.9.4 0    Video terminal manipulation: run-time files and
ii  ncurses3.0      1.9.8a 4    Video terminal manipulation: shared libraries
ii  netbase           1.26 1    Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
ii  netstd            1.26 1    Networking binaries and daemons for Linux
ii  perl             5.001 4    An interpreted scripting language
ii  procps            0.99 1    procps -- The /proc file system utilities.
ii  shellutils        1.12 3    The GNU shell programming utilities.
ii  source          1.3.64 0    Linux kernel source.
ii  syslogd            1.2 15   Kernel and system logging daemons.
ii  sysvinit         2.57b 1    System-V-like Init.
ii  tcsh              6.06 1    An enhanced version of the Berkeley C shell.
ii  xbase            3.1.2 4    XFree86 3.1.2 base distribution.
ii  xcompat          3.1.2 2    XFree86 2.1.1 shared libraries.
ii  xlib             3.1.2 2    XFree86 3.1.2 shared libraries.
ii  xpm               3.4f 1    XPM library.
ii  xstd             3.1.2 3    XFree86 3.1.2 standard distribution.
ii  xsvga            3.1.2 1    XFree86 3.1.2 SVGA server.

some other minor dpkg related problems:

1.  I have libreadline2-2.0-15.deb but can't install it because it conflicts
with librl-2.0.3-2.deb.  I'd just uninstall librl except that i know for a
fact that the /usr/bin/ftp client uses librl...who knows what else still
requires it?  /bin/bash needs it too - uninstalling librl would leave me
with an unusable system :-(

2.  I can't seem to get rid of ncurses-runtime. ncurses seems to work
with no problems, so maybe it's just an aesthetic problem.

Craig