Re: Gzipping man files

>I strongly disagree.  If you guys are so concerned about saving a
>little CPU time over disk space, why aren't you complaining about info
>files being installed as compressed or about man compressing the
>cached pages it saves in /var/catman?  Come on now, are you or your
>users really running man that often on uncached pages that having to
>uncompress them makes that much of a difference?

Good point, but the counterargument is that none of those have an
additional heavy formatting step to go through.  IMHO groff is already
slow enough; running a gzip alongside it would, I imagine, make it
even worse.

My current home configuration has vastly more disc space than I'm
currently using, so I'm unconcerned about wasting it on that system.
However by current standards it's a bit short on CPU and memory
(486DX40, 8Mb).  So I'd expect to favour saving CPU time over disc
space.  Others will have different priorities, but I don't see any
reason why we can't accomodate both.

(Having said that, I'll be upgrading the hardware to something much
faster tonight l-)

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@elmail.co.uk