Shadow question

I wonder why most binaries are not shadow compatible. As some of you might
know, most applications (that is those who just read and check the password)
can be programed to use the getspnam function in libc and thus will be
compatible with both, a shadow password file and a normal password file.

I tried Marek's version of xlockmore (are you here Marek?) on two machines.
One has shadow one not. The same binary works on both machines without the
slightest problem.

While there's no urgent need to change the packages before we go BETA, I
think we should add this into out system. As far as I can see this change
doesn't create any problem. For those interested Marek (the Linux-Shadow
maintainer) has uploaded some patched version to:

ftp://i17linuxb.ists.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/linux/shadow/debian

Marek's email address is: marekm@i17linuxb.ists.pwr.wroc.pl

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____