Re: mntent.h problem

I'm copying this to debian-devel since I thinks it's important.  I
hope you don't mind.

> Hi David,
>
> could you please create an libc-5.3.9 package or change mntent.h in
> libc-5.2.18-2 to include the quota mount options? I just tried to create a
> new quota package (to get rid of the rquota.h bug I just don't install it,
> your libc package already has one) and found out that it didn't compile on
> a complete debian machine because of the missing mount options.
>
> Thanks
> Michael

There are two issues here.  I'll address the easier one first.

First, can't you just put something like this

#ifndef MNTOPT_NOQUOTA
#define MNTOPT_NOQUOTA "noquota"
#endif

in the quota source until libc 5.3.x is done for Debian?  I don't
really want to get into the business of moving our libc too far away
from H.J. Lu's official versions.  Fixing selected bugs is one thing,
but adding incremental features, even to header files, for this and
that is another thing entirely.  Please believe me, I'm not trying to
be difficult.  It's just that as long as I'm maintaining libc, even on
an interim basis, I'm going to be very conservative.

Second, what should we do about libc 5.3.9 and H.J. Lu's other
packages now that they have been released publicly?  For those that
don't know, libc 5.3.x uses a new, stricter malloc that found various
memory-related problems in several programs.  Unfortunately, many of
these broken programs need to be patched before they will work with
the new malloc.  Personally, since we are hopefully going into beta
testing soon, I'd prefer to wait a little while before switching to
libc 5.3.x.

David