Building shared/static Motif app.

I've got gimp ready to go except for building the statically linked
version.  My question is, how do I do that?  I know about gcc's
-static option, but if I put that on the line of app/Makefile.in that
links the app, all the libs will be statically linked.

I assume that I should just create two debian.rules build steps
(build-shared and build-static).  One of these will clobber the other.
I guess I should also make it so that each build, rm's the executable
before doing anything else so that it'll make sure and relink the app.

Thanks
--
Rob