Re: xpm and xpm4.7

David Engel writes ("Re: xpm and xpm4.7"):
> For libc4/libc5, I renamed libc to libc4 (but still provide libc) and
> added a "CONFLICTS: libc (<<4.6.27-11)" to libc5-dev.  I don't know if
> this is the best way to do it, but it seems to work.

I'm not convinced that it is.  You see, this defeats dselect's
`Pre-Depends' checking mechanism, because it's ambiguous.  Conflicts
usually means that two packages don't want to be selected at the same
time, so using Conflicts like this is sending all the wrong signals to
dselect and dpkg.

IMO if you can you should at least say
 Replaces: libc (<<4.6.27-11)
so that dpkg knows that libc4 is a replacement for libc and that it
can safely go and overwrite the libc4 stuff.

Ian.