Re: perl wants csh

Dominik Kubla writes:

> > I reported this as Bug #2495.  It causes latex2html -- a perl script
> > used by a lot of people who don't know much about perl (myself
> > included) -- to break.  This caused a great to-do on the latex2html
> > list a couple of weeks ago while we all searched around for the
> > solution to the problem that latex2html would mysteriously give
> > empty pages on some systems.
>
> > Perhaps ash might do the necessary globbing?
>
> I am about to upload csh-5.26-1 which will provide the virtual package
> c-shell.  The binary is about 100kB (1/3 of tcsh) and will install in
> /bin.  I think that making that package a required one should solve
> all problems WRT csh...
>
> While we are at it: I think somebody (preferredly either the
> maintainer of bash or pdksh) should package a minimal version of their
> shell (without readline, builtins, etc.) to provide a /bin/sh which
> might be used for scripts.  TMK both sources provide configuration
> templates for a minimal version intended as a replacement for broken
> /bin/sh's as found on various commercial IXes...

So are you proposing that people install csh for scripts? Are you using
update alternatives? If not can you please and I'll release a new version
of tcsh that provides c-shell and uses update alternatives as well. I guess
your csh should have the higher priority so if both are installed yours
is used for /bin/csh

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell		   		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au
Perth, Western Australia	     andrew@it.com.au andrew@debian.org