dpkg: multiple files supplying package

I had problems with dpkg 1.1.3 in the case when I have two .deb-files
supplying the same package with different version numbers. This
happened to me when my mirror didn't run completely and I had the old
and new version of the .deb-file for netstd around.

In that case, dpkg reads the two packages and tries to install
both. The package which got installed (and configured) was the one
which appeared later in the search order of dpkg.

Dpkg gives me a warning about the fact that the same package was
installed twice. Wouldn't it be better if dpkg could use the version
numbers in the package to try and resolve the conflict? Is that
possible?

		Cheers,
			Lukas
   Dr. Lukas Nellen                 | Email: lukas@teorica0.ifisicacu.unam.mx
   Depto. de Fisica Teorica, IFUNAM |
   Apdo. Postal 20-364              | Tel.:  +52 5 622 5014 ext. 218
   01000 Mexico D.F., MEXICO        | Fax:   +52 5 622 5015