Re: New dpkg overwrite behaviour undesirable

You (Andrew Howell) wrote:
> Good point, well then it should work like I said, instead of bombing out
> at that file it should just give a warning, not overwrite it, and continue
> onto the next file in the package.

Which poses another problem:
- sysvinit includes a better "mesg" than in the bsd-utils
- it is supposed to replace the old one
- but it doesn't because the old bsd-utils is still installed
- then bsd-utils is upgraded. It doesn't have "mesg" anymore.
- "mesg" dissapears from the system..

Not that I have a solution for it, but I just wanted to make
you aware of this.

BTW the next sysvinit will conflict with older versions of bsd-utils,
ofcourse, so that this problem will not appear. I hope dselect is
then smart enough to realize bsd-utils should be installed first.

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/