New install gotcha...

After doing yet another fresh installation (Bruce, it'd be tres nice
if you could use at least 1.3.80 for the next set of boot disks, since
it actually works with high-speed SCSI systems), I went to update the
base packages on the newly installed system.

Everything went fine, until I installed dpkg-1.1.3.deb, at which point
I was in big trouble, since it's an a.out executable, and the fresh
installation didn't have libc.so.4.6.27 anywhere.

I think the obvious solution is for dpkg to be ELF (which I'm sure
will be the case eventually), but I just wanted to give others a
heads-up on the potential suprise.

Mike.
--
"Don't let me make you unhappy by failing to be contrary enough...."