Re: Debian, threads, and X.

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Rob Browning wrote:

> Ideally, I guess you'd want a thread safe libc and X.  According to
> the X11R6 release notes, Xlib and Xt are now thread safe if they are
> compiled with thread support.  The return value of
> XtToolkitThreadInitialize tells you if your Xt has thread support.
> This call returns false under Debian.  I guess the question is, could
> a Debian linux system actually support this feature, or does it
> require waiting for threads in the kernel and a posix threads
> interface?

I'd prefer to wait until threads are properly supported in libc before
making the libraries in xlib thread-safe. I don't see anything wrong with
producing a thread-safe xlib package under another name (tsxlib for
example) which conflicts with xlib and provides xlib and elf-x11r6lib.

If your thread system is using macros to override stdio functions, would
I have to compile the libraries using the same thread library as you?

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk