Re: /etc/init.d/boot

> > }I've just installed the latest development sysvinit.  I think it's a
> > }Bad Idea (TM) to activate swap before mounting filesystems.  I've
> >
> > The other way round is even worse if you have low memory. Every mount
> > costs about 100-300 bytes afaicr. If you haven't have swap enabled you
> > might not be able to mount.
> >
> you're getting it both wrong!  I was about to issue a couple of bugreports
> regarding the init scripts.  To solve your dispute: swap has to be activated
> TWICE ! First activate swap partitions (and do that before fsck and mounting,
> systems with 4MB will benefit from it), then fsck and mount the filesystems
> and last activate swapping to files and mount loop devices.

This almost works -- the reason I have created the second swap device is
because it's on a seperate physical drive.  I want that swapfile to be
activated first, so that I have my binaries on one drive, and swap on
another.

What I'm trying to say: order matters, and if swapon -a is called twice,
the swap will be in exactly the opposite order of what I want.

Of course, I may be a little too pedantic/nit-picky on this point, but I
do think that it's important.
--
				- John Larkin
				- jlarkin@hmc.edu