Leading underscore in reference label

I've tracked down the problem I have been having building octave. The
source code for the package is in Fortran. The unsatisfied externals are
all f2c library calls. In the library causing the error the reference is
to do_fio, but in the f2c library the label is _do_fio, hense
unsatisfied. I remember Borland C++ going through a phase where the
leading underscore went from being automatic to requiring a compiler
option be set. So, I spent a fruitless half hour searching through the
info tree on gcc without seeing anything on the topic. Either f2c needs
to do this or there is an option for gcc. Since this package built ok for
the a.out release something has changed in the newer versions of either
gcc or f2c.
Can anyone improve my knowledge on this?

TIA,

Dwarf