Re: 1.1 installation results...

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 20.03.96 in <m0tzXYp-00063cC@mongo.pixar.com>:

> MfG Kai:
> > Umm ... it _should_ go in there, so you can swapon -a. This is what my
> > /etc/fstab has:
> > /dev/sda8		none	 	swap	sw		0	0
>
> Right. However, this particular example is the installation-disk root.
> The user has just run "swapon file" from the shell, and
> that does not put "file" in any location that I can read, as
> far as I can tell. If the user adds the swap partition through my
> installation menus, they will capture that information correctly.

Ah - so if you want to know if the system currently has _some_ way to
swap, you'll need to do whatever it is that programs like free do (to
report available swap space). I hope it's in text form somewhere in /proc.

> When you get to try my new installation disks, you will see that they

> decide to go ahead they run unmount and swapoff before fdisk. I put a good
> deal of time into making them smarter. The parts that I have re-written
> should be at least as good as anybody else's installation program.

Looks very good indeed, from that description. Unfortunately, I currently
have no free partition to test it on.

MfG Kai