Re: sudo-1.4.1-1 uploaded to chiark

> Anyway, the package includes two versions of sudo, one compiled for the
> standard passwd file and one with compiled in shadow support,
> update-alternatives will install the correct one (I hope) as /usr/bin/sudo.

Why does this need update-alternatives?  My understanding is that
update-alternatives is for choosing among binaries from different
packages.  Since both versions of sudo are in the same package, why
can't the postinst script just install the appropriate version and
remove the unecessary one?

> I had some problems finishing it, since my libc-5.3.6, gcc-2.7.2.l.3
> compiled file wasn't running on machines with libc < 5.3.0. So I compiled an
> a different machine. Now it seems to work fine.

I don't know if this is spelled out in the packaging guidelines or
not, but shouldn't we restrict ourselves to only using publicly
released compilers and libraries for regular packages.

David