Re: DNS arrangement for FTP mirrors

> Here's a snapshot of my in-progress DNS design for FTP:
>
> Sites currently providing the /debian path from the anonymous FTP root,
> and their possible future aliases in the Debian domain:
>
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/        (To be assigned ftp1.us.debian.org)
please leave ftp.debian.org as well because this would cause me to have to do a
total rearcnge of this damn machine again. If you want this to be
ftp1.us.debian.org then PLEASE use CNAME and not an A then point it to
ftp.debian.org which sould be an A record. This way if we make a move of the
primary site it would be nice to have the names go with it without have to
change more than one entry.

> ftp://ftp.microworld.net/debian/    (To be assigned ftp3.us.debian.org)
> ftp://ftp.i-connect.net/debian/     (To be assigned ftp2.us.debian.org)
> ftp://ftp.ftp.inka.de/debian/       (To be assigned ftp1.ka.de.debian.org)
> ftp://ftp.lh.umu.se:/debian/        (To be assigned ftp1.se.debian.org)
>

> Also, a whole lot of people seem to mirror Debian via Sunsite.

We should put a MIRRORING_DEBIAN file into our site so people can get the
information about mirroring from the upstream sites.

I would also like to request devel.debian.org to which we could point name
aliases at instead of having to require the top level site to handle this.
(ie.  Ian.Jackson@devel.debian.org , Bruce.Perens@devel.debian.org ,
mbailey@devel.debian.org , iwj10@devel.debian.org ) If people would like to see
this sort of thing then I am more than happy to provide the service.

Thanks
Matthew S. Bailey
mbailey@cps.cmich.edu

PS. debian.org DNS seens to be totaly hosed still.....