Re: ELF floppy set progress report

Stephen Early writes ("Re: ELF floppy set progress report"):
> On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Some people will need or want to be able to install from the net (say)
> > after doing the base stuff from a CD.
>
> Presumably they would still be able to do so, by choosing the appropriate
> access method in dselect? All I was suggesting was that a default should
> be provided.

Yes, I suppose you're right.  I'm not sure I like the idea of the base
disks fiddling with /var/lib/dpkg/cmethopt &c.

Bruce, can you have the basedisks create a file in /var/lib/dpkg
containing the information you have available ?  I'm not particularly
bothered about the format (parseable easily in sh/sed/&c as well as
C/Perl would be nice) or the name.  Let me know what the file is
called and the contents are.  The information I'd like for a CD-ROM
installation is the name of the CD-ROM block device (if you create
/dev/cdrom then that will be the default and the user can just hit
return on it), and the location on the CD-ROM of the root of the
Debian installation hierarchy.  I can find the Packages files &c
myself.  Oh, and say at the start somewhere that it's a CD-ROM
installation ...

If we do it like this the user will still have to hit Return a couple
of times, but it will feel more to them like they're confirming that
an earlier selection still applies.

Would this satisfy you and the users in question, Steve ?

Ian.