Re: Overwriting files from other packages will require Replaces

  Dale Scheetz writes:
  Dale>  On Mon, 11 Mar 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

Always nice to see private mail back on the mailing list :-)

  Dirk> But I think we should deal differently with mailcap and mime.types
  Dirk> and provide them by central package.

  Dale> This would certainly work, but I'm not sure it's what pine and
  Dale> metamail need. I have had the time to look at the metamail
  Dale> source. Metamail does not declare /etc/mailcap as a confile so that's
  Dale> not it.

We are not talking about the same issue here. What I would like to see is an
elevation of mailcap and mime.type to a status akin to /etc/services. These
are *central* files that different programs rely upon. This is not an issue
between metamail and pine alone. Note that chimera and netscape also install
them, albeit in different places which avoids the conflict which pine now
has, but in a manner that I would call unsatisfactory.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd