dpkg 1.1.1elf: many changes, more to come
There are many changes here, but not yet the level of Pre-Depends
support required for a clean ELF upgrade using dselect (dpkg is fine -
you just have to feed it the files in the right order, which dselect
should do for you). I thought it best to release my current version
ASAP to try to get it tested by people, and there turned out to be a
lot of general housekeeping to do.
Amongst many bugfixes and cosmetic changes, important things to note
* ELF release by me.
* ELF testing scripts in /usr/lib/dpkg for use by base packages (will
be available in the a.out version too, when I build it). Essential
packages which won't work without ELF support should use
Pre-Depends if appropriate, and also run from the preinst
/usr/lib/i386-elf-executables-ok. Ones which need a kernel which
boots with ELF support should use /usr/lib/i386-elf-in-kernel
instead. These scripts will print helpful messages to stderr if
* Better cross-architecture support in various ways, including a way
to get a value to put in an Architecture field and checking of the
value by dpkg at install time. This will become mandatory at some
point - you might as well start adding it. The value `all' is for
architecture-neutral packages; other values are `i386', `sparc',
`m68k' and `alpha', so far.
* Fix (at last) for the K/S duplicate links made by update-rc.d.
Can we have that hack in /etc/init.d/rc fixed ?
This release is probably very buggy - there have been many new
features added, and they've only been lightly tested. Be prepared to
Now I think I'll go and get some sleep; I'm afraid all the email I
have to answer will have to wait ...
I haven't provided a dchanges file because it didn't seem to provide a
way to override the following error message:
-chiark:debian> dchanges dpkg-1.1.1elf.deb dpkg-1.1.1.tar.gz
ERROR: version mismatch -- dpkg-1.1.1.tar.gz != dpkg-1.1.1elf.deb-dpkg-1.1.1elf.deb
Instead, you can have my announcement format --- which is better
anyway so ner :-) ...
dpkg (1.1.1elf); priority=LOW
* Added /usr/lib/dpkg/elf-executables-ok and elf-in-kernel.
* Replaces field now allows automatic removal of conflicting packages.
* Replaces field now required to overwrite other packages' files.
* Architecture field, and dpkg --print-architecture, supported.
* build new format archives by default when compiled with ELF compiler.
* symlinks are now installed atomically (good for shared libraries).
* create /var/lib/dpkg/diversions in postinst if necessary (Bug#2465.)
* Pre-Depends now correctly fails if package never configured.
* dselect disk methods mount with -o nosuid,nodev.
* update-rc.d defaults doesn't add both K and S in any one runlevel;
dpkg postinst fixes up this situation if it sees it.
* Assorted fixups to the Guidelines, which are now in one piece.
* dpkg --list prints version string in one piece.
* dpkg-scanpackages doesn't produce notice on output with list of
packages with Section and/or Priority control file fields.
* control file and debian.rules work both for ELF and non-ELF compiles.
* most files compiled with -O2 (-O3 only for some critical files) -
this fixes ELF build.
-- Ian Jackson <email@example.com> Mon, 11 Mar 1996 04:25:28 +0000
-rw-r--r-- 1 root ian 184474 Mar 11 04:38 dpkg-1.1.1elf.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ian ian 495313 Mar 11 04:25 dpkg-1.1.1.tar.gz