Re: boot floppies status report

    Bruce> I'd be interested in hearing more about this. My assumption
    Bruce> was that the OS/2 Boot Manager would correctly chain to a
    Bruce> LILO partition boot block.

That's what I thought too, until I got my second HD. Here is my
current /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hdb5
root=/dev/hdb2
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux
read-only

And here is how my hdb is partitioned:

Disk /dev/hdb: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 525 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot  Begin   Start     End  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1          19      19     524 1020096    5  Extended
/dev/hdb2   *      10      10      18   18144   83  Linux native
/dev/hdb3   *       1       1       9   18112+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb5   *      19      19     196  358816+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb6   *     197     197     363  336640+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb7   *     364     364     465  205600+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb8   *     466     466     491   52384+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdb9   *     492     492     524   66496+  82  Linux swap

/dev/hdb2 is root, and /dev/hdb3 is where I will backup root one of
these days.  All the partitioning was done with OS/2's fdisk.

When I tried to have LILO on /dev/hdb2 BootManager would print a line
that its not formatted or bootable or sonething like that on bootup.

    >> My only suggestion would be to have an option to put LILO on
    >> root partition [even if it is a logical one].

    Bruce> It will be installed on the partition even if it is a
    Bruce> logical one. It just won't work with "mbr" that way, so
    Bruce> you'll need the boot floppy until you set up someting more
    Bruce> sophisticated.

Oh, ok, i like this scheme. I see several types of users here:
1) the "mbr" + lilo setup is works for them and they are satisfied
with it
2) the "mbr" + lilo is not what they want or can have
 a) They have a better primary loader, so they'll just need to
reconfigure it.
 b) They will use LILO as their primary bootloader (one line change in
/etc/lilo.conf).
 c) They'll need to set up some strange system because none of the
above applies.
Group 2c should not be too large IMO, and probably won't include many
linux newbies (read not too many questions on mailing lists).

    Bruce> My rationale is that you would not place
    Bruce> your root on a logical partition unless you have a primary
    Bruce> OS that is something other than Debian Linux.

Well, I actually think that an extremely widespread setup for 1HD
linux system is to have DOS live on a the first primary partiton, and
have the rest set up as one big extended partition, with Linux root
living one of the logical partitions.

Gleb