ELF status

I hope to be able to work over the weekend on dpkg, adding the missing
functionality: I believe this to be:
  - the Replaces field
  - installation ordering according to Pre-Depends
  - small modification to symlink processing to eliminate window
    of vulnerability
  - ELF dpkg release made by me (including workaround for GCC 2.7 bug)

I think the other things that still need to be done before even an
alpha release include:
  - sorting out which base packages need Essential fields (and
    which base packages really ought to be in the base) and adding
    them
  - making sure that all the base shared library packages and
    the packages that use them have correct interdependencies

When we are ready for this we should make an alpha release, and then
spend at least a month testing it, fixing bugs, and sorting out broken
packages of various kinds.  This may take longer if it turns out that
there are many things to be done and if many of our package
maintainers have gone away in the meantime (I suspect that several
have and we just haven't noticed).

Someone will have to go through the bug tracking logs and identify any
critical bugs without which we can't release.

Ian.