wtmp file creation

Hello,
  I am about to make a maybe incompatible change in the
boot script. On bootup, a test is performed to see if
the /var/log/wtmp file is present. If not, it is created. This
is against standard unix practice; the administrator decides
if the wtmp file is present or not. If not, nothing will try to
use it. So creating it by default if it is not there looks like
a bug. I commented out that test for now.

Should an empty wtmp file be included with the base distribution?
Or should I prompt the user in the postinst script and just ask?
(Another confusing question...)

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/