Re: Sendmail 8.7.5

> I'm probably too busy to maintain this myself.  Especially since I
> don't understand mailbox locking.  But if someone else is working on
> it, we might collaborate.

Timing! See my other message to debian-devel.

> I've compiled sendmail 8.7.5 and I've got it running suid-mail!  [I
> don't see any reason to run it suid-root --- especially given the
> history of vulnerabilities.]  Then again I've barely tested it.

Interesting. I'd like to test this some.

> One technical question (I'm a sendmail newbie :), I can link it with
> -ldb or '-ldb -lgdbm'.  What features do I add by including gdbm?  Or
> is it just an extra dependancy?  (In my installation -ldb is all that
> seems necessary.)  Perhaps this question is best asked in
> comp.mail.sendmail :)

I believe -lgdbm gives you the NDBM libraries, while -ldb gives you NEWDB. We
probably only need to compile sendmail with one kind of db library, but it
doesn't hurt to have the backwards compatibility.

--
Robert Leslie
rob@mars.org