Re: /bin/perl

'Guy Maor wrote:'

>In any case, I glossed over the location of a perl in my original
>post.  There are two questions to consider
>1) Should perl be on the base Debian disks?
>2) If so, should it get installed in /bin?
>
>I'm advocating yes to 1.  I agree with most of you that the answer to 2
>should be no; I'm merely playing devil's advocate to make sure we make
>the right decision.

I thought this discussion arose about /bin/perl (note the Subject:
line)?  Noone is suggesting that Perl be removed from base.  Perl
/must/ be in base, too many scripts depend on it.  Also, perl is
essential (for the same reason).  But it is neither required nor
essential for single-user mode and hence doesn't belong in /bin.

Did you hear what Richard Stallman said about Devil's advocates at the
Conference on freely redistributable software?  I couldn't even begin
to paraphrase, but he didn't approve of the behaviour (to put it
mildly).  [Not that I agree with him or anything :)  ]

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)