Re: Dpkg status?

Bruce Perens asked me in private email, which I hope he doesn't mind
me posting:
> How are you doing on the modifications to "dpkg" needed to make ELF
> upgrade-in-place work? How many packages will need control file changes?

It looks like it won't happen this weekend.  What I have left to do is
to have dselect take notice of Pre-Depends to install the first few
packages in the right order.  (I also have to make a minor change for
shared library upgrades.)

All the base packages will need to have
 Essential: yes
 Pre-Depends: libc5
and any other predependencies that might be required, and will need to
say
 dpkg --assert-support-predepends
in their preinst (and check the return code).  Any of them that don't
already need to be changed, but these changes can happen straight
away.

Base packages providing shared libraries should start to use the
shared library installation scheme that David Engel has devised and
check with me.  (They should do this even before dpkg has been
updated.)

Ian.