Re: A better miscutils

You (Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca) wrote:
>   Guy Maor writes:
>   Guy>  I'm the maintainer of miscutils, a big and ugly package.  Here's a
>   Guy> proposal that I would like to implement.
>   Guy>
>   Guy> I will eliminate two packages - chfn and last.
>
> The last package I split from GNU acct is supposed to be replaced by a new
> binary that would come with sysvinit. Miquel van Smoorenburg once said he
> would do that but I haven't heard from him in a long time.

That's because I've been kicked off debian-devel :) The address used
was that of my personal workstation, and since it goes up and down a lot
some error messafes went back to debian-devel and some robot took me
off. I'll try to re-subscribe. Well at least I am on debian-private.

sysvinit-2.59 does contain a last and a mesg binary. It will be out
this weekend/beginning of next week. This last also supports hostname
lookups by the ut_addr field.

Who is going to maintain chfn? I changed the 1.0-4 version because it
didn't work with NIS. After a chfn I had the entire NIS password database
in my local /etc/passwd :) I'd like to send the patches to the (new?)
maintainer.

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/